Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Graveyard Is Sealed

Deep in the darkness of The Abyss, Mandy worked her way towards the return gate to Arkham. Joe was no longer Lost in Time & Space, he returned to Arkham near the gate in the Woods. Seeing the Hound of Tindalos lurking near the gate, Joe waited until the Hound was behind some large trees before running into the gate that took him to Another Dimension. And in R'lyeh, I stepped through the gate that took me back to the Graveyard in Arkham.

Mandy saw something reflect in the dim light of the distant gate, so she went to investigate. It was a cavalry saber, most likely left behind by some previous person roaming The Abyss. She picked it up in anticipation of her Tommy gun eventually running out of bullets.

Joe likewise had good fortune in Another Dimension. He found a collectors item that he knew would fetch $3 back in Arkham... if anyone was left to buy it from him. He put it in his bag.

In the Graveyard, I closed the gate to R'lyeh. Not only did I close it, but with all the clues I had collected, I knew how to seal the Graveyard so no longer could a gate open or a monster appear there. This was a minor victory for us. Now if we could only seal the other twenty-five locations in town, this terror would be over.

But my celebration was short-lived. Another monster surge happened. A Formless Spawn came out of the Historical Society gate. With the town overrun with monsters once again, the next two monsters went to the Outskirts; a Zombie from the gate in the Woods and an Elder Thing from the Independence Square gate.

The sealing of the Graveyard gate must have caught the Hound of Tindalos' attention in the Woods. In a flash he had run through Uptown, across the University grounds, through the Merchant District, and along the Rivertown streets to reach me. I was not prepared for that, but with the help of the cross I had grabbed from the Hospital I was unaffected by the horror the monster brought. Using too much magic can drive a person crazy, but in my situation a little sanity was a good trade for surviving this battle. I knew the Hound could not be hurt with physical weapons, so I cast one of the few spells I had learned and temporarily made my revolver a weapon of magic. And with a few pulls of the trigger, the Hound lay at my feet. I wasn't happy about edging closer to crazy, but at least I was still alive. I pulled out one of the Hound's teeth and put it in my pocket.

Gates open: 3/8
Monsters in Arkham: 3/4
Monsters in Outskirts: 7/7
Terror Level: 0/10
AO Doom Track: 6/13

No comments:

Post a Comment